Hello, you have come here looking for the meaning of the word XXX
. In DICTIOUS you will not only get to know all the dictionary meanings for the word XXX
, but we will also tell you about its etymology, its characteristics and you will know how to say XXX
in singular and plural. Everything you need to know about the word XXX
you have here. The definition of the word XXX
will help you to be more precise and correct when speaking or writing your texts. Knowing the definition ofXXX
, as well as those of other words, enriches your vocabulary and provides you with more and better linguistic resources.
- The number thirty in Roman numerals.
- (computing) Used as a placeholder in source code to mark that some work still has to be done.
- (international standards) Reserved ISO 4217 currency code representing 'no currency', to be assigned when a code is required for a transaction that does not involve currency.
Very doubtful, although possibly from X, a graphic derivative of the skull and crossbones (“indicator of death”); was probably taken from the movie rating of X, which was the rating of movies with mild sexual content in the 1960s and 1970s. The original X certificate was issued from 1951 by the British Board of Film Censors.
- Traditional brewer's mark for barrels of extra strong beer—extended to other alcoholic beverages and other products having an extra strong dimension (varying from washing soap to pornography).
- An indicator of hazard or poison.
XXX (comparative more XXX, superlative most XXX)
- Extra strong; very high quality.
- Designating extreme or hardcore pornography.
2012 April 19, Josh Halliday, “Free speech haven or lawless cesspool – can the internet be civilised?”, in the Guardian:
Other global taboos, such as sex and suicide, manifest themselves widely online, with websites offering suicide guides and Hot XXX Action seconds away at the click of a button. The UK government will come under pressure to block access to pornographic websites this year when a committee of MPs publishes its report on protecting children online.
XXX (third-person singular simple present XXXes, present participle XXXing, simple past and past participle XXXed)
- (transitive) To delete; to cross out, especially to conceal or suggest vulgar language.
From having three X chromosomes (and no Y).
- (medicine) Triple X syndrome.